An electromagnetic based system based on low cost of ownership, high-torque to low-weight performance, high reliability, and higher level of safety control of braking forces would better serve the airline industry and offer a significant opportunity to combine electromagnetic braking with an energy efficient storage system that would allow the aircraft the ability to:
- Recapture some of the available kinetic energy during the landing event to increase the overall efficiency of the aircraft.
- Transfer this available kinetic energy from the landing wheels through a motor generator to an energy storage device on board the aircraft.
- Use this stored energy during ground taxiing operations as a means to eliminate taxi fuel burn while the aircraft is on the ground.
- Reduce the number of hours spent on maintenance of the conventional braking system.
- Reduce the time on engines and engine thrust cycling due to taxiing and waiting in queue.